Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Missing Our Matty

This morning I got a phone call from a police officer. He explained to me that he had walked into Reams this morning and noticed our "Lost Dog" flyer hanging up. He wanted to call and let me know that unfortunately she had been hit by a car. He had been the officer called to the scene that Sunday. He was such a nice guy and just kept telling me over and over how sorry he was. I told him how grateful I was that he had called to let us know. But the only thing going through my mind during our phone call was, how could I tell the kids? I did tell them... and then held them on my lap while the three of us cried it out. Our little Matty will be so missed. She was one of the sweetest dogs. Always letting Ava drag her here and there, hold her and squeeze her. Never once snapping at her. Those two loved each other from day one. We didn't even have her quite a year but I think in those months she was probably more loved by that one little girl then her entire 13 or so years of life. I once read a quote that said, "Lucky is the man who has the unconditional love of an good old dog."



My friend Malina took the above sweet pictures of Ava and her Matty last year. I just love them. I thought it would be sad to look at all these but instead they just make me smile. Such fun times.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry, Annie.
Little Matty's up there right now romping it up with Ox, Sundee and Cody. That's going to be one heck of a pack.
Indy's not sure what's wrong, why I'm sitting at the computer bawling my eyes out - but I just had to give her a big hug.
Love every minute of them.

Brooke said...

That's terrible! I'm so sorry to all of you for your loss.

Halladay said...

So sorry Annie! Why? Why? Why do we do this to ourselves? Because the time we spend with them is worth all the tears we cry when they're gone (and a whole lot more). I agree with Sarah, that's going to be one large crazy pack of dogs up there.