Saturday, April 28, 2012

The story of how we met.




Jeremy and I were talking the other day about how we have known each other almost half our lives already. It got me thinking about the first time we met all those many many years ago. :) So here's our story, it really isn't very romantic since we met in high school and thinking back I was so stupid and immature acting. It's amazing it all worked out and here we are 3 kids, 2 dogs, and 1 house latter.  I just always knew he was the one...no matter how long I had to wait for him.

 We actually grew up a few blocks from each other and went to grade school through high school together. I knew who he was but it wasn't until one day sitting in tardy make-up during our senior year of high school that I had ever talked to him. How sad is that, we had a huge graduating class and I was really shy.  (Tardy makeup at our high school was paying money to sit in the auditorium to make up if you were late or missed a class. I know, me late for a class, it's hard to believe, right.:)) Earlier that week Jeremy's mom had come into Micheal's, where I worked, to get balloons to decorate the football locker room for the Homecoming game.  She asked me if I knew her son Jeremy and that she thought he should ask me out sometime... little did she know she started it all. :) Weirdly enough we happened to be sitting next to each other a few days later in that tardy make-up class and we laughed and talked about what his mom had told me.  It was fate.:) Just kidding...it gets even more romantic than tardy makeup together... like the next time I saw him, I kicked him in the shin, hard. Jeremy and his date were part of a big group of us that played football at a park, in the snow, before the Halloween dance that night. After the game someone pelted me with a snowball. I thought that someone was Jeremy and so I tried to whitewash him but just ended up kicking him in the shin. Me and my flirting skills are really smooth like that. Anyway, come to find out it wasn't even Jeremy that threw it at me...very embarrassing. I can still picture the confused look on his face as I suddenly attacked him for no reason. It was that day that I realized I really liked him and I guess he forgave me because a few months latter he went with me to the Valentine's dance. We also went to senior dinner dance together and a few more dates here and there.  Anyway, after graduation he went away to work and attend collage up in Wyoming.  Long story short, after lots and lots of long distance phone calls (on calling cards because no one had cell phones way back then) and many trips back and forth from Wyoming to Utah, plus a 2 year mission, we finally, against all odds, ended up together. I just couldn't picture my life without him in it and I love him.
Typing this made me realize that it sounds a lot better to just say we were high school sweethearts and leave it at that.:) It has also made me realize that when he gets crazy impatient with me because I can never seem to make it anywhere on time... I should just say to him, babe you did met me at Tardy make-up, what did you expect.  Or when I'm a brat and he gets grumpy...I can just remind him that, yes, I can be a brat...like the time I kicked you right in the shin for no reason, remember.:)
I just read a quote that said: "You don't find the perfect person to love, you love an imperfect person perfectly." And that is what marriage is all about isn't it.

No comments: