Monday, April 2, 2012

Update on Ava's favorite foot.

Word of warning: This is a gross post.
A couple of weeks ago Ava dropped our fire pit grill rack thing on her big toe. Since then things have gone from gross to really gross. I have never seen a toe swell up that big or turn that black and blue.
Jeremy eventually had to poke a few holes around her nail to relieve some of the pressure all that blood was causing. She never even flinched or cried and even watched, which was something I could not do. Just seeing the toe afterwards made me cringe. Jeremy could slide her little nail around because the skin under her nail was so saggy after being deflated.
Over the next few days it would seep and drain...to much info? One Sunday I forgot to replace her band aids and when I picked her up from her primary class she let me know that her toe had "leaked" on her tights. Poor little Ava.
A few days ago the inevitable happened...the nail fell off. Karen told Ava to put the nail in an envelope and see if there is such a thing as a "nail fairy" :) She hasn't wanted to try it yet, I think because she is pretty proud of that nail. I know for a fact that there is a nail fairy and she will pay good money to get rid of that gross old thing.

Ouch!!!

Goodbye nail. (The green is just leftover nail polish from St.Patrick's day.)

It was scary for her to see her toe without a nail on it. She checks it all the time to see if it's back.
I gave her a little pedicure to make it less awful.
And thank you GG and Carl for your thoughtfulness, ice cream makes everything better.:)

6 comments:

mom said...

Ava- your toe is looking so much better!
And your cute little toes look so nice all freshly painted!
Nice job mom:)

Jason, Kodi, Jake and Tyler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason, Kodi, Jake and Tyler said...

Poor thing! I had my big toe smashed in kindergarten and it fell off too. I don't think I got an awesome pedicure though! Jeremy was telling us about her...yuck.
Speaking of Jeremy. He probably thinks I am so dumb. Everytime he comes over, I happen to be making something chinese. Okay, the last two or three times atleast. Anyway, I always tell him he can have some when its done and then it takes forever and he has to leave or it turns out really bad. (the other day I made homemade wonton dough. It didn't work...) He probably thinks I do it on purpose so I don't have to feed him. I don't. He just has bad luck! haha!

Mark & Shayla said...

Ava you are so brave! And you have such adorable little feet...no wonder you were so upset about the prospect of losing a toe nail. I think toe nails grow back faster in Wyoming. You should all come for a visit just to see if its true

Jackson Family said...

I've lost toenails before and I just paint over my skin to make it look like I have a nail. Ava sounds like a little trooper!

Sarah said...

Hi Annie,
Sorry it has taken me forever to get back to you. Honestly I have totally forgotten how I copy-protected my photos on my blog! But I did a quick search and this lady's instructions seem familiar. I know it was something I added that had html code, so I think this will do the same thing for you, even if it wasn't exactly what I did. Worth I try, I guess.

you'll have to copy and paste this link:
http://www.buildabetterblog.com/2011/01/disable-copying-of-images-in-your-blog.html

I am so not tech savvy! I wish I could tell you exactly how I did it. Good luck, and ouch! Your poor daughter's toe!!!